Two of my favourite ripostes come from the world of entertainment.

Claire Booth Luce and Dorothy Parker approached a doorway together.
Luce stepped back to let Parker go through first, saying, "Age before
beauty." Parker sailed through the doorway replying, "Pearls before
swine."

Sir Lawrence Olivier watched with amusement as Dustin Hoffman summoned
up all of his "Method", agonizingly getting into character for a
dramatic scene on the set of "Marathon Man".  At last he said, "Why
don't you just act, dear boy?"

But my favourite put down was was self administered.  Michael Curtiz,
while directing  "The Charge of the Light Brigade, called for
riderless horses to be let wander across the scene, saying, "Bring on
the empty horses."  Errol Flynn and David Niven cracked up laughing at
his awkward English.
Curtiz responded, "You people think I know f*** nothing, but I tell
you, I know f***all!"

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"