On 11-09-07 10:12 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Bruce Walker

But I've played with a new feature in CS5 that helps with this: the Auto
Edge Detect tool in Refine Selection is very smart. It does a great job
with texture, hair, etc.  I've been able to lift a flower off a
background, use Content Aware Fill to create plausible new background
where the flower was, then lens-blur the background and superimpose the
flower back.  Results were just about perfect.

I would definitely try green screen before this projection technology.

For me, a regular painted background is preferable to either of them.

Shop around. I found a good quality 10'x20' on sale for $50.00

Or use out of doors locations where you can throw the background pleasingly out of focus.

Good idea on the painted backgrounds. My neighbor does custom fashion display windows. I'm going to see if I can bum some painted backdrops from him sometime.

One out of doors subject that almost *requires* mucking with background extraction is the handsome flower that is growing close to some scruffy hedge. You can go all F1.4 in your attempt to DoF the hedge out, but then you lose detail in the flower. Or you can go F8 and preserve the flower detail but end up with a noisy, unattractive background.

So now I extract the flower, content-aware-fill in the cutout, lens-blur the background, and layer blend the flower back in place.

I hear that some people suspend a backdrop behind a flower in an ugly setting to solve this. I've tried using a black reflector, with mixed results. Too much light fell on the reflector--hard to avoid.

-bmw