On 08/09/2011 3:49 AM, Anthony Farr wrote:
On 8 September 2011 12:35, Subash<pdml.l...@gmail.com>  wrote:
these are only figures for japan/asia but interesting nonetheless.
canon and nikon lose a combined 35% market share while sony doubles it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/canon-clinging-to-mirrors-means-opportunity-for-sony-cameras.html

so, is the dslr dead yet? perhaps there's hope for the Q :)

--
regards, subash

I found this quote quite revealing,
" 'Mirrorless cameras are a threat,' said David Rubenstein, a
Tokyo-based analyst at MF Global FXA Securities Ltd...."

I guess they would be a threat to companies that choose to oppose the
trend rather than embrace it.

Some observations:

Non adoption of autofocus cut the SLR market from perhaps twenty or
more brands in the sixties and early seventies to less than ten.
(Topcon, anyone?  Or Miranda?  Yashica?  Petri?)   Contax and Olympus
both flubbed their AF implimentations, but Olympus redeemed itself
with a confident early digital program.

Topcon, Miranda and Petri were gone long before AF came about. They left about the same time auto exposure came along. You may as well toss Mamiya in there as well, with their lamentable 35mm SLR attempts. Yashica and Contax were one and the same at the time of AF, both were owned by Kyocera.

My prediction is that within five years the only DSLRs will be a few
premium and professional models, perhaps one from each surviving major
player.

I also predict that within ten years their won't be DSLRs in the 4/3
to 135 range.

This was longer than I thought it'd be, so thanks for reading.

EVF type cameras are going to happen, whether we want or like them or not. They cost less to produce, which makes them attractive to manufacturers, and they are the newest thing, which makes them attractive to marketers and people who buy based on hype rather than function. My only hope is that they can make a decent EVF (they are still crap) before the choice of optical viewfinder is taken away from us entirely.

--

William Robb