http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1932762_1974606,00.html

>From the book "Ansel in Color"
Adams felt closest to black and white photography, which can be
manipulated to produce a wide range of bold, expressive tones, and he
felt constricted by the rigidity of the color process. "Art implies
control of reality, for reality itself possesses no sense of the
esthetic. Photography becomes an art when certain controls are
applied..."

In a 1962 essay describing his efforts in color, Adams noted the irony
of our perceptions about the two media. "There is little or no
'reality' in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational
or expressive black-and-white image," he wrote, "and yet we have
learned to interpret these values as meaningful and 'real.'"

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska