> I have an acquaintance who fancies himself a movie director though
> he's never sold anything commercially. I've found I've stopped
> discussing movies I like because I watch a movie to be entertained. He
> watches a movie to critique it, and that takes all the fun out of it.
>
> Tom C.

That may be because of his approach rather than criticism in general.

Since starting my French cinema class last year I've found that I enjoy all
films far more than I ever did before because I watch them with a critical
eye rather than 'just' to be entertained - it adds a new dimension to my
enjoyment.

Some of the films we've watched can be quite hard work, but the analysis and
criticism itself is enjoyable, and we learn a lot so that we can appreciate
the films even if we don't enjoy them.

My approach generally is to make notes and come to my own conclusions about
them, write my essay, then read what other critics have to say, and listen
carefully to our prof when she gives her analysis. This is always very
enriching.

The same approach works for pretty much anything - photography, paintings,
theatre, literature, whatever. That's the true function of critics.