On 9/28/2011 21:08, Larry Colen wrote:
I would be very interested to see comparisons between pictures from
the Q, and pictures from some of Pentax's early APS DSLRs.

I am in the midst of putting my photo collection in a bit more order as Galia's photos are growing in numbers and we share the LR catalog and the HDDs of course. So I recently looked at some photos I made with *istD. I kind of wonder why on earth I spent so much money for the cameras that came after it... Of course there is justification and improvement, but sometimes having a look with your own eyes has a sobering effect, in a manner of speaking.

I expect that in 3-5 years, the Q-format will be capable of photos on
par with at least the K-7, if not the K-x or even the K-5.  By the
time that they have a sensor that'll appeal to the fussier
photographers,  they'll have a lens selection that will appeal to
those photographers as well.  They'll also have a low end kit,
selling for under $500.

With all due respect, Larry, I expect you to be proven wrong, let's say in 3-5 years.

By the way TOP by Mike Johnston had an interesting article recently where he showed (albeit pixel peeping 100% thumbnails) that D90 is just a tad worse than D700 and that V1 or J1 or whatever is just a tad worse than D90, but boy, does V1 or J1 or whatever really suck compared to D700...

By the way, judging from early samples, new 24MP APS-C sensor from Sony takes quite a step back in high ISO noise department, and all... Presently, K-5 appears like the best choice for all-round kind of photography, without super high resolution specialization such as in fashion, landscapes or building-size enlargement...

Your mileage may and probably will vary...

Boris

P.S This year tenset (actually dozenset) will boast photos chosen by Galia and processed by Galia. Although I will still supervise.