Thursday, February 28, 2002, 10:13:47 PM, Aaron wrote:
AR> On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 02:12  PM, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

>> Sounds practical.
>> So, do you process film & eat at the same time?
>> :)

AR> Now THAT is a bad idea.

AR> Unless you're developing in X-Tol, which I hear is comparatively safe if
AR> ingested.  It'll still make you sick like a dog, tho'.  ;)

AR> -Aaron

Even though Xtol is based on Vitamine C derivate, it is NOT safe! It
still contains a lot of phenidone derivate, which is certainly NOT
healthy! All bensen based developing agents can be somewhat
cancerogenic (as can be virtually anything), some more some less. It's
good to keep standard precautions. Don't heed the old guys talking of
dipping "my hands in the developer for 30 years, and I am in as good
as ever health". That's nonsense, I know a LOT of people who were
sloppy with their darkroom safety and have paid dearly for it in
really, really bad health. It's chemistry, the chemists know what's
safe and what's not (although they don't care themselves, it's like
doctors who drink and smoke like noone else), so heed what's written
on the boxes and MSDSs.

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek