Shifting (Pentax has a horizontal shift, Minolta makes[made?] a
horizontal & vertical shift lens) changes the angle
of lines on a photo.  Tilting changes the position of what
is in focus.  For instance, if you shoot a tall building and
want it to look vertical, and not like it's falling away or
disappearing into the sky, you use shift to compensate.
If however you're shooting a table, and you're at 30 degrees
to the table, you want more than just the material in the
middle in focus.  Tilt changes that and will allow you to
change the plane of focus to match the item being shot.
(Canon makes[made?] a lens that has horizontal shift and vertical
tilt up and down).  The use of a tilt could have brought the
back left corner of the front into focus.

(Others with more experience in this might be able to add more
to the discussion.)

Collin

At 01:48 PM 3/3/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 13:45:38 -0300
>From: "Eduardo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: March commentary
>
>  Hi Collin,
>
>First of all, congratulations on your effort to comment all this month's PUG
>submissions. I'm sure everyone, myself included, who decided to share their
>images with the rest of us are pleased by your effort and time consuming
>post.
>
>You wrote, about my photo:
>" N. P. R. " by  Eduardo Jr., Brazil
>      Pleases my son.
>      Nice shot.
>      This is an excellent example of why a tilt lens
>      is useful.  You could change the focal plane
>      to cover the front of the train and not have
>      that back left corner soft.  Unfortunately
>      Pentax does not make one.  (Most 35mm co's don't.)
>

>Would you mind, explaining a little bit more about it? All I know about
>shifting or tilting is from some very superficial readings and I had never
>even seen one such lens, except for some photos, but I fail to understand
>what one of these things could do to improve this photo...
>Thanks in advance,
>                  Eduardo.

*
"Get over it."