On 10/18/11 1:19 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Mark Roberts
[Default] On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:13:16 -0700 (PDT), Rick Womer
<rwomer1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I have a P3000 viewer that I have used a fair amount when traveling.

Recently it lost its ability to download files from SD or CF cards. I
can view the images on the cards, and I can view images already on
the hard drive, but the download doesn't work.

Emailed Epson support; they told me to call an independent service
center on Long Island.

Called them; all they do is send the units on to Epson, and charge $289.

$289 to re-flash a chip somewhere? No way.
What you're experiencing sounds like a hardware problem, so it's
probably "$289 to get a refurb replacement".

Sad to say, those P3000 and other similar model viewers probably fall
into the "replace rather than repair" category now. I expect that
tablet devices will soon force them out of the marketplace altogether.

I thought the net-books already had, but tablet devices have got a long
way to go before they'll be usable as portable image storage devices.
$550 and only 32GB storage? Plus none of them takes a real SD card;
you'd have to replace all your SD cards with micro-SD cards.

I'm not impressed.

I have a 64GB iPad that I have used several times on trips as image storage. And, if I remember to shoot RAW + JPG, I can do a quick/dirty process and post to the web while I'm still away from my regular computer. It's very handy.