On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Jack Davis <jdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Subtle, but nice lighting. I haven't noticed the soft veils of vertical
> streaking in the past. Sunset's final rays I suspect.(?)

No. Boise is an odd place, but the sun still doesn't set in the north.
Those are characteristics of the aurora themselves. I captured
something similar one time from Nebraska (around midnight, far too
late for sunsets rays, even if sunset's rays came out of the northern
horizon). The eye doesn't normally detect much color (at least this
far south) but the day I saw this, it appeared that spotlights were
pointing straight up, all across the north horizon. They would move
and dip, some areas becoming stronger and some becoming less
pronounced, as you watched it. But the camera caught something very
similar to what Tom has there.

Very nice!

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska