John - I envy you the chance to spend time in Italy! Meg and I spent two weeks
in northern Italy in March 2007 (including a day in Venice with Dario and a
friend of his plus Gianfranco.) Our trip was about half at Lake Garda and
region, the rest of the time in Venice with that time confounded by the
meetings I was supposed to be part of. And we had a week in Rome in 2009 with
again a meet-up with Gianfranco. Wonderful sights, good people, good food -
what else could one ask for in a trip?

FWIW in your planning, the several days Meg and I spent in Venice and the
lagoon included a trip to Murano and Torcello. (They seem pretty much a package
deal to me. The travel time to that part of the lagoon is long enough and the
two destinations are close enough together, that if you do one you might as
well do both.) I just checked the time stamps on images shot that day. We took
the bus from Venice at 10:15 a.m. We went to Murano first and spent a couple of
hours there walking the streets, shooting the colorful buildings, visiting the
lace museum, maybe a lunch there as well. Then back on a bus to Torcello. We
arrived Torcello about 2:45 p.m., wandered the island, climbed the church
tower, etc. Left there about 4:15 p.m., we arrived back in Venice about 5:00.
If I were to do it again, I would try to leave Venice a bit earlier, spend more
time on Murano, but an hour and a half on Torcello seemed plenty. We weren't
particularly rushed, didn't have an evening schedule that required we be back
in Venice at a given time. The one time constraint is the fact that the bus
schedule for Torcello is limited, so if you miss one bus you might wait 30-40
minutes IIRC for the next one. Also note that when I speak of leaving Venice
and arriving back in Venice I am referring to the main bus stop for departures
to that part of the lagoon, i.e., Fundamenta Nuove, which is still some time
away from the train station, Rialto Bridge, San Marco Plaza, etc.

stan