Hi,

every f-stop has a hyperfocal distance. The reason why one of them,
generally f/8, is marked differently from say f/11 or f/16, both of
which will of course give you greater depth-of-field and are therefore
better from the hyperfocal point-of-view, is that f/8 is the optimal
aperture from the optical quality pov. So it was quick and easy to get
the optimal combination of aperture and depth-of-field for hyperfocal
distance. It is also why the phrase 'f/8 and be there' specifies f/8
rather than f/64 or whatever. If it was just about getting as much in
focus as possible they'd all do it with the smallest aperture.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]