On 11/2/2011 8:44 PM, Alastair Robertson wrote:
thanks for the comments Bob and Larry. I deliberately rendered it on
the dark side to capture the mood I was trying to portray - hence the
midtones are intended to be a shade above black, the mist close to
white, and areas of black with black silhouettes for individual trees
and bits of the cliff above the nearer crater.  I suspect the
appearance will depend very much on your monitor settings. It looks
how I intended it to look on my recently calibrated monitor here, but
I can imagine results will vary on other people's monitors.  Am
interested in how others find it - perhaps I've gone too far with
lowering the tones in the mid-range?

I think that I agree with Jack that this is an image that would most benefit from being a large print. Images on small monitors lose too much so that subtlety just becomes a near total loss of detail.

Alastair