I had a similar experience a couple of months ago.  My second backup
drive died without warning, not long after my first backup drive started
acting strangely.  The latter is also a MyBook, but an older one of
500MB, and the problem was slightly different to yours - it wasn't
recognised by the operating system until about 15 minutes after powering
up.  It then behaved itself and continues to do so, although I don't
rely on it.    I quickly went out and bought another external drive.

Investigation of the second backup drive suggests that the disk
controller is the problem and not the hard disk itself but I haven't got
around to buying a new enclosure.  I should do that...

Cheers

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

On Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:09 PM, "Mark C"
<pdml-m...@charter.net> wrote:
> Your post motivated me to play around with my archives and I made a
> startling discovery - my main USB drive is not working properly. I works
> fine for about 10 - 15 minutes after I turn it on, but after that if
> gets flaky and then disappears as an active drive.  I don't know when it
> went wonky - the last major update I did was in early August. At that
> time it would have been active for far more than 10 minutes or so, but
> as recently as a few days ago I was powering it up, grabbing a file, and
> then powering it down...
>
> Thankfully I have another drive that is a replica as of the last major
> backup. There is also a clone at a local data center through a local IT
> support company. But right now, this drive is crap - it will work for 10
> to 15 minutes and then powers down and won't show up again till it has
> been powered off for a while. I'll be taking it to my local repair shop
> (also the data host for remote backup) to see if the problem is the
> drive or the housing. It is a 3TB WD myBook  drive and the housing may
> be proprietary - don't know if they can find a generic  housing to pop
> it into. I hope that the worst case scenario is that the drive becomes a
> local SATA drive  in my PC -thoug I guess the really worse case scenario
> is that the drive itself - and not the housing - is failing.
>
> Sheesh!
>
> Mark C.
>
> On 11/4/2011 3:50 AM, David Mann wrote:
> > I keep all of my photo files on a USB hard drive, and every-so-often I
> > think "I really must get around to setting up some kind of backup."  But
> > it's a lot of data and I kept putting it off.
> >
> > Yesterday the drive started making horrible clicking noises while
> > performing a Time Machine backup.  I stopped the backup and shut the drive
> > down.  It was working, but slowly, and I didn't want to push my luck.
> >
> > As poor timing would have it, a significant chunk of the world's hard drive
> > manufacturing capacity is currently under water so prices have recently
> > shot up.  I was lucky to find a retailer who not only had stock at a
> > reasonable price, they actually had a discount!  So a brand new 2Tb drive
> > is on my desk.
> >
> > Luckily I was able to lift all of my data off.  I started with my "K10D"
> > folder as that's the most important one (I still have a copy of my "Scanned
> > Slides" folder on another old hdd).
> >
> > So now I'm back to thinking "perhaps I should set up some better backups."
> > I might pop back down to the shop and get a second drive in the weekend...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave

                          love email again