This happened to me a couple of months ago when I was photographing a friend's
birthday party.

Tonight, I was photographing belt tests at the dojo.
After the stupid camera tricks during belt tests two nights ago, I made sure
that all of my batteries were well charged, and that the Pentax brand battery
was in the K-5.
A few minutes prior, I noticed that my SD card was getting full, so I replaced
between tests, and observed that the card that came out of the camera was quite
warm.  I took 8 more photos and when I pressed the shutter, the viewfinder
would darken slightly (stopping down from f/2.8 to f/4), but wouldn't take a
photo.  This was with about 800 frames on a freshly charged battery.  I
replaced the battery, powered the camera up, got a full green battery symbol,
tried to take a picture, and got the empty battery icon and "depleted battery".
I put the Pentax battery back in, and got the same result.  I may have even
tried my third battery right then, but definitely did after the test, with the
same result.  Showing full charge when it is put in the camera, showing empty
after trying to take a photo.

1) The two times that this has happened, I have been photographing action, in
low light.  Tonight was was with the 16-60, last September was with the 31.

2) It isn't a common occurrence, which makes it tough to send in for repairs.
However, it seems to happen at the worst possible time, i.e. when I'm very busy
shooting action, and don't have time to swap batteries, swap lenses, swap
cameras.

3) It happens with the Pentax, as well as off brand, batteries.

4) When my mirror locked up in Marin, it may have been a little chilly out, but
I wasn't taking lots and lots of photos.

Any suggestions as to how to handle this?    Who to talk to?