On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:46 AM, Christine Aguila wrote:

> The timing in the first one is fantastic, Larry.  Very nicely done there.
> Not sure about the 2nd one; I'm not against the motion blur, but not sure the
> action of the 3 people in the frame is compelling enough.    Cheers, Christine

Thanks.  The motion blur is a cipher.  On one hand I think it could be very
compelling, but it's also very tough to get right.  There weren't any that I
was completely thrilled with.

As to your comment on cropping out the flowers on the first one.  I understand,
and that would in many ways be a stronger photo of Byron throwing Toby.  The
photo above the flowers is O Sensei, the founder of the art, and the reason I
left it in, in this composition, is that it "places" the photo, not just in an
Aikido dojo, but in our Aikido dojo.  It's an interesting case of what makes a
photo good for "anyone" versus what makes it good for "the inside audience".