On 11/29/2011 2:41 PM, steve harley wrote:
interesting info; a couple of thoughts:

* the CDs that appeared not to have errors may still have had subtle errors you haven't noticed
Yes - some of the files copy OK but are corrupted. Not many but they show up. I would no be surprised if I opened a file now and then and found that it ended at the wrong place or had some sort of error.

* it would be nice to have a copy mechanism that did not stop at errors, but that did tell you which files had errors
The freeware program XXCOPY will do this. It is basically XCOPY on steroids. It list the files and if it cannot read one notes that it is corrupted. At the end of the copy it creates a little report the summarizes the number of files found, successfully copies, and not copied, average data transfer rate, time to copy, etc. The only rub is that XXCOPY takes 10 to 11 minutes to copy a full CD with no errors and XCOPY takes only 5 to 6 minutes.

* CD-ROM is not a particularly safe archiving medium, both from your specific info and from general knowledge (i also have several old CD-Rs, as well as regular music CDs, that have failed); redundancy is critical in any kind of digital archive, but more critical with CD-ROM

Yeah - that's why I am trying to move these at long last. I copied hundreds of DVD's a few years ago when I got started with external hard drives, but they copy a lot faster than CDR's and put these off. There are film scans so I do have the original shots, mostly well cataloged and filed away. (Mostly....)

- Mark C