> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Brian Walters

> On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:54 PM, "Christine Aguila"
> <christ...@caguila.com> wrote:
> > That's great!  I saw Dame Edna live here in Chicago years ago at the
> > Schubert Theater.  I laughed so hard, my cheeks ached for the whole
> > second half of the show.  What great fun the show was.  I'll never
> forget
> > it.  Cheers, Christine
>
> Never seen 'her' live but 'she' pops up on TV so often here that I
> don't
> need to...

Before she became a truly global megastar she satirised a certain type of
Melbourne housewife of the late 1950s - which is precisely when my family
lived in Melbourne (indeed, when & where I was born, so I guess I'm the
pommy love-child of Edna and Norm). My parents couldn't stand the real-life
version so when Dame Edna started to appear on TV over here she made their
teeth grate so much they couldn't bear to watch her! Les Patterson on the
other hand...