I hear what you are saying, P.J. but I would submit that there is a
lot more that goes into a photograph than just the location of the
thing to photograph (or even where to stand to get a particular view).
There is the time of year, time of day (and resulting shadows from the
combination of those two), the weather (esp. for outdoor locales), the
light conditions (based upon the combination of light conditions and
time of day). That ignores all of the photographers choices such as
focal length, where to position oneself, the shutter speed and depth
of field chosen, filters (like polarizer or gradient ND) etc. It also
ignores the choices that one can make with more oddball things like
pinhole cameras, infrared, full moon illuminated long exposure at
night scenes, etc.

I, for one, would find such guides invaluable for making trip decision
like where to camp. When to get up to be able to hike to a certain
spot before sunrise. Where to be during the golden hours, etc.
Particularly if I was unfamiliar with the area or it was my first
trip.

Also, none of this precludes our taking photographs of other things
along the way, from locations NOT pinpointed on the map.

I can see how such guides could lead to more congestion in those spots
than there would otherwise be, at least during the peak tourist
seasons, but probably only marginally so.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska