Tom,

Your photographs of the wide open spaces of western N. America are iconic.
I always look forward to your pictures, be they national parks or snow
scenes from home.
I admire your skill with the camera and your recognition of light.
I have visited the same places as you and not gotten those pictures.

Both the American West and the Smokey Mountains disappointed me on my
first visit.
After multiple trips thru the Smokey's in conjunction with Grandfather
Mtn's NFW,
I gained a much better appreciation for and attention to the light there.
My first trip, a 1,000 mile drive with the wife and 3 kids in the
station wagon didn't do it for me.
I think the same of the West.  You have to watch the light to convey the magic!

One can capture a complete description of a physical space with a camera, but
the light can turn it from dreck to gold.  Obvious, but making a
profound impression on me now.

Regards,  Bob S.