On 12/2/2011 1:04 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2011-12-02 07:04 Darren Addy wrote
For those who enjoy looking for vintage camera lenses at the local
sales and thrift stores...

http://www.kehblog.com/2011/12/lens-mount-guide-part-1.html

Looks like nice clear pictures and explanations.

hmmm, i'm not sold on this reference

it says "Pentax Screw Mount" without bothering to mention it is M42 and how widely used it is/was; the Pentax-K example seems to be a Pentax K-A; i don't think you can distinguish "Pentax Auto-Focus K" from "Pentax-Digital" by looking at the mount ...

here's a reference i bookmarked long ago when i was learning some of these things; it's not perfect either, but i like the fact it has specific tips for lens recognition

<http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html>

more important to me in thrifting etc. is recognizing which lenses are special — anyone know of a quick reference of that sort?

Hell, they left off a couple of versions of the Nikon mount, didn't mention the Ricoh version of he K mount, nor the original K with no electrical contacts nor the open aperture version of the M42 mount for Pentax ES or SPF cameras, (there were also a couple of other open aperture systems for other cameras using M42 lenses at least one of which keeps them from mounting properly on Pentax K mount cameras with M42->K adapter.

So not the list is not particularly inclusive.

Actually the FAJ and DA lenses lack the link to the Aperture Simulator, (there I said it).

I didn't read all of the text, but I don't think they actually explained the difference between the Canon Breach Lock system and Breach Lock Bayonet system on the later FD lenses. An important issue if you happen to find an early lens that you can't mount on your FD mount Canon.

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.