My partner is a system administrator specializing in IRIX, the Silicon
Graphics version of UNIX operating system. These ancient machines are
still in operation at the facility where he works.

Silicon Beach's "Digital Darkroom" was from the late 1980s and was
used for cleaning up scanned images, IIRC. I didn't start scanning
work until about five years later so I never used it. I used Photoshop
from when it was a pre-alpha until the present. However, I find my
need for it is so minimal nowadays given what Lightroom can do for
what I need that I wonder, sincerely, why I bothered to buy the CS5
upgrade. I've installed it but hardly touched it since. I use "Flare"
and a couple of other more pointed "post image rendering" applications
a lot more.

When it comes to compute power and storage capacity, we're in a
totally different world from the late 1980s. My iPod Touch has at
least 10x the computing power and storage of anything I owned in the
1980s ... !

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com