Funny, but for me the non-flash shot is a nice picture of a cute bird and is my first choice. Of course there is the fringing. Besides the less interesting expression of the bird on the flash shot, this one is for me a typical flash shot with much weaker gradation as seen in particular on the breast of the bird. With more flash comp. my preference may be reversed.

Henk