On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57342136-76/shutter-speed-demon-camera-takes-trillion-frames-per-second/

> I expect that this is just bad reporting, since the reporter, makes the
> truly astounding claim that you can make ultrasound recordings with light.
>  I don't think those words mean what he thinks they mean.

I think there's a reasonable interpretation. You introduce sound waves
to an object, as in traditional ultrasound. The sound waves interact
with the object in ways that reveal the internal structure, as in
traditional ultrasound. Instead of coupling the returned sound waves
to a piezoelectric transducer that produces an electrical signal, you
observe the surface of the object with the high-speed camera,
measuring the vibrations due to the sound. It probably lets you
measure the return over a larger area with higher spatial resolution,
compared to the transducer.

So it is ultrasound, but the return is measured optically instead of
piezoelectrically.