On Jan 1, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Brian Walters wrote:

> Happy 2012 to you and all PDMLers - and especially to Dave M and the
> residents of Christchurch, who had yet another strong aftershock on New
> Year's Eve.

Thanks for the thoughts, Brian.  The one we had yesterday wasn't *that* big...
4.8 I think they said.  Not very strong but lasted a few seconds longer than
the usual ones.  We've hardly felt any aftershocks from the 23 Dec event on
this side of town.

The news media do seem to overplay all the little ones.  Probably about 5.5 and
above are the ones to pay attention to.  6+ aren't much fun (5 of those so far,
whee).  Having said that we're probably getting desensitised.  A mate of mine
is back from Canada for Xmas.  We're meeting for lunch this coming week so I'll
ask what he thought of it.

I don't know if you've heard that our police are abandoning their central
station building.  Not for structural reasons apparently, but for concerns
about the services (power, water, communications etc).  Reading between the
lines I wonder if there's a psychological factor.  I bet that building would
wobble around quite a lot and the CTV building is still very fresh in people's
minds.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6198941/Police-abandon-Christchurch-stations

Cheers,
Dave