I'd totally give cyanogen a try.  Also, there are a few apps that are
known to have cache-congestion problems, going through the apps
preferences and clearing cache (or in some cases, data) might help.

A hardware keyboard might not be as necessary as you think.  The
predictive typing in 4.0 verges on magic, I'm typically typing 2
characters max per word.  -T