07 Mar 02, Paul F. Stregevsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (Snip)... The lens aperture doesn't display in the "Judas" window."
> It's just dark.  I've swapped lenses with the Vivitar Series One
> 135/2.3K that was on my first KX, but I still can't see anything;
> the problem clearly lies in the body.
>
> I've wiped the outer aperture-reading window clean,
> but it hasn't helped.
> (Snip)...
> Now, what? Is this problem something I can diagnose
> and fix? If not, I feel like asking to return it. For me, the
> ability to always see the aperture was one of the KX's
> key selling points.

Paul,

I've noticed on my KX's that the aperture window has a very narrow viewing
angle.  If the aperture ring isn't right where the "Judas" window is
looking,  you can't see it.   My Pentax "normal" lenses are no problem,  but
with some "large" Pentax lenses and all my third-party lenses,  the aperture
rings are not properly placed to center the numerals in the window.   Do you
have a Pentax K or M  50mm lens with which to test it?

If you put your finger or some broad target on top of the lens barrel and
back against the camera body,  can you see it through the window?   If not,
can you see any light through the window?

If it's truly defective,  fixing it will require removing the body's top
cover.   Are you comfortable doing that?   If not,  send the camera back for
a refund.   I'm confident that a repair shop could fix it;  but you paid for
a good body and you shouldn't have to incur that additional cost.   So, send
it back and move on...  nice KX's regularly show up on eBay.

If you're a glutton for punishment and decide to do the surgery yourself,
and if you find the prism assembly to be broken,  let me know.   I have a
couple of KX's with dead meters that I've been using as cadavers to practice
disassembly/ assembly (self-taught, shade-tree, camera butcher).   Maybe
it's time to turn one into a parts body.

Regards,
Tim Engel