On Jan 20, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Paul Stenquist wrote:

>>> It's *much* easier than you think.
>>
>> I'm not buying it. She didn't just paint over a BW in photoshop,
>
> Of course not. That's not how you do it.
>
>> she replaced all the various grays with color elements of different tonal
>> values.
>> Look at the color detail she created in the Times Square buildings.
>> Not easy by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Layers. Displacement masks. Blend modes.
> Not basic stuff, but not rocket science either - all covered in my
> introductory Photoshop class.
> It's really no big deal.

I'll send you a highly detailed BW and you colorize it with that level of skill
and precision. Then I'll believe it's not big deal. But my eyes and my own
experience say otherwise. I would guess there are at least 5,000 different
coloration tasks involved in that Times Square photo, and the final result has
to be convincing. A big deal.