Thanks for looking PJ and Ken.

It is indeed a naval landing craft.  I was in the US Marine Corps, and
that's the kind of "cruise ship" they gave us!

This is a privately owned vessel that was moored offshore, and broke
loose during high surf caused by Kona winds.  It ran aground a few
miles north of where we are staying, so we went up to check it out.

Maui is a very quiet island.  Something like this is big news.  <G>

Dan Matyola