... and just a little tinkering with things to get it as functional as possible

Here is my shooting booth.  Just 3 foam-core boards cut to fit together nicely,
on a white table.  <$9.  The CoolLite 6 units bounce off them, and have a
translucent piece of plastic on their inside edge to diffuse any stray direct
light.

http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/studio.jpg

So now I can get a really shiny metal part like this without glare.  Some
things shoot better in raw, others are just fine with jpg.  The only
shortcoming is that black center where I am firing through.  But that is easily
resolved though it is not at all critical.  A little contrast makes, imho, a
little better image.

http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/70074BP800.jpg

Some may say that it is underexposed.  Perhaps.  It looks just a little dark on
my new Dell laptop, but looks perfect on my Samsung SA350 display.  I may have
to shoot for a little extra brightness to compensate for monitor differences.

Sincerely,

Collin Brendemuehl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
-- Jim Elliott