The one on the pole is really nice, Matt
ann

On 2/1/2012 19:25, Matthew Hunt wrote:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Ann Sanfedele<ann...@nyc.rr.com>  wrote:
They just did a piece on them and their southernly appearance
I saw it on Tv but then found this link on line

http://www.nbc.com/news-sports/msnbc-video/2012/02/reaction-to-snowy-owl-wow/

Thanks, I just saw that story on the news. The footage is always
enjoyable to watch. Here's some extended commentary from Cornell's
eBird project (which collects bird observations from birders):

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/the-winter-of-the-snowy-owl

As the eBird story notes, here in the Northeast, the winter of
2008-2009 was better than this year so far. In February 2009, we were
very lucky and had two of them here in Cambria County, Pennsylvania. I
got to see both of them. My photographs are very much like Darren's:
One on a telephone pole, and one flying away:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coneslayer/3279999932/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coneslayer/3279180339/lightbox/

When my wife and I got to the site where the first one was hanging
around, we stood under the telephone pole, oblivious to the owl,
scanning every furrow of the fields with our binoculars, looking for
the bird. Another birder drove up, got out of his car, and asked us
what we saw. He thought it must have been something remarkable for us
to be ignoring the Snowy Owl above our heads.

The poor bird who made it to Hawaii this year (their first ever) was
shot dead as a hazard to aircraft.

http://hawaii.land.blogs.civilbeat.com/post/16450956889/details-emerge-about-snowy-owl-holiday-death