On Feb 2, 2012, at 4:31 AM, Brian Walters wrote:

> Well, the rumors were pretty much on target.
>
> Here's the Press Release and summary of specifications:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/02/Pentax_K-01_announcement#press

Not as good as I'd hoped, nor as bad as I'd feared.

> Things of interest to me:
>
> No eye level viewfinder and apparently no clip on one either :-(>

That is easily solved in the aftermarket.

> Compatible with M42 lenses (with adapter)
>
> Max ISO 25600
>
> No Sv mode

No TAv mode either.

> At $750 body only, I'll be taking a close look when it becomes available in
> March but I'll really need to be convinced that the LCD screen is usable as a
> viewfinder in bright sunlight.

One thing that really annoys me about it, is that they gratuitously rotated the
function buttons on the back.  I have enough trouble switching between the K-5
and the K-x, now they've thrown in another randomization of the buttons for no
good reason.

As someone who pockets both K-x and a K-5 with the DA40, I'll say that the two
bodies straddle the line of convenience for fitting into a cargo pocket. Saving
just a bit on size could make a big difference in convenience.

The 27mm filter size of the new lens is a bit of a bother, if they had gone
with 49mm (like the DA40) it could have used the DA40 sunshade, and shared
filters with all the other Pentax primes.  Having the filter threads that far
from the edge could be a pain when using a polarizer, but then, if they were
larger, focusing could be a challenge too.  I wonder if the lenscap will have a
large flange to make it easily fit, or for that matter if I can use my film cap
lens caps on it.

Live view on the K-05 really sucks because of the long lag when you press the
shutter while it shifts modes twice.  A usable live view would be the biggest
reason for me to get this camera.

It is interesting that people are complaining about it being EVIL without the
shorter registration distance. Note that there is no reason why a short
registration distance EVIL body couldn't be released later.

I wonder what the hole at 10 O'clock, above the lens and under the "P" in this
picture is:
http://1.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/4846894009/K-01_Black_3QView.jpg?v=1322
I'll guess microphone.