On 2/2/2012 3:06 PM, Tom C wrote:

I understand the point you're making and in generally agree, BUT,
would you rather have a bunch of fanboys who worship Pentax and
therefore think they can do no wrong? I can buy a lot of 8" crescent
wrenches or other hand tools for the price of a K-01, K-5, you name
it. The price of ANY expensive tool will normally give a prudent
prospective buyer pause to consider, analyze, and view the item
critically.

OK s/crescent wrench/full set of Snap-On combination wrenches/

That'll bring the price more in line with a K-01.

Yes, no camera is the perfect tool for any job. Agreed.

I think the main issue for most is that we were hoping for something
perceptibly above a K-5, i.e., a new flagship, or barring that, a
mirror-less body that still had some significant compelling features
above a K-5. That does not seem to have happened. My guess is that any
possible small iterative image quality/performance improvements are
likely offset by the lack of a viewfinder (for most people that
already have a K-5). I don't have a K-5, just a K-7, but I can't see
moving to a K-01 over a K-5, for the simple reason there's no
viewfinder. While I generally don't mind composing on an LCD screen
except in bright light, I wish not to be forced to.

In other words, you feel the same way about the K-01 as I felt about the K-7. It had a lot of nifty features, but what I needed was the performance of the K-5. Or at least of the K-x.

Now, remember how the K-x came out ahead of the K-5? And how a few people, like myself, bought a K-x because we needed the performance, then bought a K-5 for the features?

It's entirely possible that there is some really good reason to introduce a low-end model first, then the higher performance version of it.

All that said, for some the K-01 will be a winner.

Exactly, and Pentax is getting press for breaking new ground. All they need is a shoe mount optical viewfinder and a lot of the objections to the K-01 go away, or are greatly alleviated. It would be interesting to put it up next to the G1X and see how it performs.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)