on 2012-02-04 16:03 Larry Colen wrote
I wonder how much of the photographic benefit of using a tripod is from the
camera being steadier, and how much of it is because using a tripod forces you
to slow down and think a bit longer about the photograph.

i have a contrary reaction to tripods; i love the dynamic of handheld — a bit of urgency as i try to take in all the variables; on a tripod the urgency is gone and i can gaze at the image to the point anything in the viewfinder seems falsely profound

that said, i just picked up honkin' Bogen 3046 with 3063 head at Goodwill for $8; it's in excellent shape, and it is so smooth my partner may want to keep it just to do video with her GH1 (which is but a mote atop the massive head), but i think i should sell it and get a good monopod instead