Well, they make a 300mm f4.0 and the F 1.7x adapter is common enough, if you really want one. The maximum aperture for a 400mm f4.5 with a 1.4x TC would be within about 1/3 stop of the afore mentioned combination and only 50mm shorter, as well as probably being quite a bit less expensive. Most people seem to think I have nothing to complain about as far as image quality is concerned using even my ancient A*300 f4.0 with the F1.7x.

On 2/3/2012 12:48 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
I'd secretly (my wife is listening) like to see a 400mm f/4 or 4.5 and a
quality 1.4 T/C.

Jack ;-)

________________________________
From: Paul Stenquist<pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2012 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Lens road map

On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Darren Addy wrote:

Been thinking more about this, and the long long telephoto doesn't
make a huge amount of sense to me on an APS-C camera. A 550mm lens?
That would be a 775mm (35mm equiv) on a crop camera. Anybody see a
huge demand for that?
I want one for my K-5. It would be perfect for shooting small birds.

Now a 550mm or 600mm lens on a full frame, would
be much more likely to be in at least some demand.
But even if a full-frame camera is introduced, there won't be enough market
penetration to justify such a lens for a long time -- if ever.
The other thing is... Hoya stopped the publicizing of lens "road maps"
like this. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't one. And given the
short time that Ricoh has owned Pentax, it is likely to me that these
future lenses on the road map are lenses that were already in some
form of development at Hoya/Pentax.

While Hoya/Pentax didn't appear to be interested in FF cameras, it
seems crazy to me that they didn't have somebody at least doing R&D on
one. In fact, that would be good "window dressing" to showcase if you
were going to shop the company. ("look at the additional product lines
you can expand into"). I think the Marc Newson camera is another
example of Hoya/Pentax carry-over.

Add that to the comments in the earlier interview from the
Ricoh/Pentax exec. talking about the importance of a "full DSLR"
product line and I think the evidence is getting stronger for a FF
Pentax camera to be at least announced, very soon.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.