On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:20:04AM -0700, steve harley wrote:
> on 2012-02-08 01:44 Cotty wrote
> ><http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusem5/>
> >
> >Very cool.
> >
> >It's a viewfinder Jim but not as we know it....
>
> i am impressed by the promised functionality and the straightforward
> design; the live curve adjustment feature is nifty, though it's not
> clear whether it does anything to RAW exposures
>
> the swivel screen is a half-measure; i wonder if anyone will dare
> eliminate the screen completely in favor of an EVF ? that would be a
> very "retro" design

My wife (the nominal owner of the E-PL1) would be very unhappy with
a camera that didn't have a rear screen.  I don't think I'd buy one,
either - chimping through the viewfinder, or simply showing your
shots to a colleague before you get to a computer, would be awkward.

What my wife would like, apparently, is a rear screen that can be
swivelled to point upwards, so she can hold and operate the camera
like a TLR. She came back from the figure skating and remarked on
that, totally spontaneously. She also came back with almost 1500
exposures. Thats 7GB of space - just as well I put an 8GB card in
the camera! She would have shot more, but the battery is only good
for around 300 shots, and we don't have a spare (yet), because up
to now she's never shot more that 20 or 30 images at one time.

The shutter lag of the E-PL1 makes shooting action sports rather
difficult, so a goodly proportion of those exposures are failures
for one reason or another.  But there are enough decent images to
be able to put together a gallery to show off (link to follow).