Well, procrastinating on other things (it's tough to get going on a
Monday morning) has allowed me the time to test the styled jpeg
question... and it works.   So,  if  you shoot RAW, with one of the
picture style modes selected (monochrome, vibrant, portrait, etc), you
can extract that styled jpeg preview from the DNG file using this
utility.  Nifty.

:)
-c