It does work both ways. Both countries are protective of their job base. When I
worked for Young & Rubicam and again when working for BBDO, I sometimes
collaborated with Toronto offices on creative projects. I often had trouble
crossing the border in Windsor. I had to say I was going to the Toronto office
for a meeting and sign documents saying that I wouldn't do any work. Flying in
it was even worse at the Toronto airport, where long interrogations and
detailed body and luggage searches were common. If I had creative material to
bring with for discussion, I had to ship it.