On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:12 AM, Bob Sullivan wrote:

> Dave,
> Thanks for the article.  It is good to hear the economy is doing OK,
> as that's a start.
> It is sad to hear about the frustration about the lack of progress and
> resolution.
> Who has the patience and energy to rebuild the 2nd largest city in New
> Zealand?
> Regards,  Bob S.

There's no doubt that we're in for the long haul, I think it's going to take at
least a decade.  I don't envy the authorities as the scale is massive and
unprecedented.  Despite all the progress so far they are only halfway through
the demolition process with a handful of new constructions just getting
started.  But I can understand the frustration that people have where it's
still uncertain as to whether they'll even be allowed to rebuild on their land
and insurance won't pay out until the government makes its decision.

The insurance payments to cover loss of trade for businesses are about to run
out so there may be some economic problems still to come.  But I don't think
that will have a massive effect overall.  Most businesses have been creative
and have found new premises or new methods.  The worst problems seem to be with
businesses that are reliant on heavy equipment (eg bakeries or printers) that
they can't access, and can't afford to replace as the insurance won't pay out
for something that's still in perfect working order.  So they end up being
stuck in limbo with no income until their building becomes accessible again.

Personally we're still doing OK, our house only needs minor repairs and there's
no damage to our land.  I have a few emotions coming back with the media
ramping up their coverage in anticipation of the memorial services tomorrow.  I
still have strong memories from the day but it could have been a lot worse.

Going by the forecasts it's still quite possible for us to have more large
events in the year to come.  But it's better not to think too much about that.

Cheers,
Dave