> I slowly convinced myself I needed to try a Leica (was hard actually).
> I don't wanna try alternatives *before* the M, if the M is nice but
> doesn't justify the cost, I'll look into Voigtlander and such.
>
> So, fot those who indeed shot with an M, what should I look for?
> Buying new is out of the question, and, let's say a lens might get
> useful as well ;)
> An M4 seems affordable but no meter. M6 is pricey at about 1000 euros.
>
> Mmm are brick and mortar dealer a more serious source for that kind of
> cameras or Ebay is as good (scared of scams).
>
> Thank you.
>
> PS: Film rulez :)

I have an M3 and had an M4-2 for several years as well. There isn't much to
choose between them. In your position I think the best thing to do would be
buy whatever is least expensive and in decent user condition. I would not
buy one of eBay because there are chop & paste jobs out there and you have
no comeback if you end up with a dog. I've bought all my Leica stuff from
reputable dealers, and even so I once ended up with a real pig of a lens
that I eventually threw in the bin.

The principal differences between the different types of M are detailed in
many places, but essentially come down to the number of framelines,
viewfinder magnification, film loading system, ability to use a winder, and
a couple of other things. M4-2s are less highly thought of than the
German-made cameras, but frankly it doesn't really matter. With M3s there's
a difference between 2-stroke and 1-stroke shutter levers (they're not
petrol-driven, it's what you have to do to wind the film on). 1-stroke is
easier to use.

I agree with whoever suggested buying a meterless M.