I've always taken it as a complement, though tone of voice could mean everything. If a hipster uses it, expect it to be "Ironic". Though truth to tell, it takes more self awareness than most hipsters display to be truly ironic.

To have a good eye, means that you more or less naturally compose pleasing images. HCB probably had a good eye, and took good pictures instinctively. Ansel Adams may have had a good eye, but if he didn't he would have trained himself to have one, (not arguing the case either way, but Adams was easily dedicated enough to do it). Some people are blessed with the former some can train themselves to have the latter, some can never achieve either.