On Mar 5, 2012, at 11:14 AM, P. J. Alling wrote:

> On 3/5/2012 1:57 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
>> Feb 25 (news and commentary)--Dealers on Friday got some new pricing
>> from Nikon, specifically on the D700. The new suggested price is soon
>> going to be US$2199 (currently US$2699). But here's an interesting
>> kicker: there apparently won't be a minimum advertised price (MAP)
>> associated with that, which would mean we'll likely see someone drop
>> under the US$2000 mark. - source: http://www.bythom.com/
>>
>> I'm guessing that there will be a flood of used ones on the market
>> once the D800 is actually shipping, meaning that used bodies will be
>> probably soon be under $1500. Tempting.
>>
>> Darren Addy
>> Kearney, Nebraska
>
> Sadly that will drive up the prices on Nikon primes in the 24-135mm range
> among aficionados.  Probably negating  the savings on the body, unless you
> want to make due with a kit lens.

Or buy the lenses now before the price goes up.

It was an interesting article, and I'm curious to see what he has to say about
the D700 vs the K-5.   For the most part, the difference between full frame and
APS seems to be about two years, and twice the cost.  For me, the big appeal of
full frame would be the added speed and sharpness of wide angle.  Rather than
my FA31/1.8 I could use my FA50/1.4 and get the extra 2/3 stop.    Likewise the
31/1.8 is so much better than my sigma 20/1.8, but there are times it would be
nice to have the speed of the sigma 20/1.8 rather than my 16/2.8 (or isn't the
14, much closer in field of view of using the 20 on a full frame) an f/4?

The K-01 could be a game changer in that department.  Maybe Miyazaki san could
make a 25/1.1 for the K-01.  That would be fun for indoors work.