On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM, David J Brooks <pentko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks every one for the comments. I'm not a real fan of these tablet
> things, but was curious.

I'm not a "fan" of anything. I enjoy telling people when a product, a
device does what I want, what I need. I wasn't sure when I spent the
money as to whether the iPad would be useful to me as an end-user: I
bought it mostly on the basis of learning how to write software for it
with the notion of creating a business developing apps for
photography. That didn't go the way I'd anticipated ... but it turns
out the iPad itself has been a tremendously useful computer, so much
so that I'm considering now abandoning my plan to buy a newer laptop,
replace my (now aging) MacBook Pro 13" with a Mac mini, and use just
the iPad for all my mobility needs. For most of what I need when I'm
mobile, the iPad is far superior ... including for photographic work.

The use paradigm is almost completely different from the use paradigm
of a keyboard and mouse computer, so it is difficult to project what
you think you know about using one from the experience of using a
laptop. It is much better for most mobile needs/usages, and with the
addition of a wireless keyboard for writing and a stylus for drawing,
moves way past that for many other things.

> ... I think for $50 odd dollars, i;ll try another
> 3rd party battery for the iBook.
>
> I use interbattery dot ca to get most  of my 3rd party camera and
> laptop batteries, but they do not have stock in the one i need and
> several emails to them asking about stock have gone unanswered. Maybe
> a another web site will be more friendly.

My experience with third party laptop batteries has not been great.
Most do not hold as much capacity as the originals and do not last as
long. So, despite the excruciating prices, I buy OEM batteries. There
are exceptions but I've found them to be few and far between.

Personally, I don't put $50-100 into aging laptop technology. I'd
rather put that money towards offsetting the cost of a newer device,
whether it be a new laptop or an iPad. The gains associated weigh
heavily in that direction with regard to power, flexibility, and
future upgrades. I would then sell the older device for whatever can
be gotten for it and offset even further the cost of the new device.

(Same goes for camera batteries. NONE of the BLM-1 third party
batteries I've tried for the Olympus bodies are anywhere near as good
as the originals from Olympus. The new BLM-5 battery from Olympus is a
better performer than any of the supposedly higher-performance third
party batteries. That said, the battery replacements I bought for the
K10D and Panasonic L1 from http://www.BestBatt.com proved to be as
good as the OEMs.)
--
Godfrey