On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> i doubt there really several million doing photo workflows like we're
> talking about, but there are an awful lot of people who have been daunted
> transferring photos to iPad (iCloud has helped), and i've seen lots of forum
> threads where people hadn't figured out how to selectively delete via Image
> Capture

I see tons of threads where people are confused about how to rename a
file on their desktop computer either ...  ;-)

What I meant was that there are many many people using the facilities,
at whatever level, who are happy with it. And there are also many
people who can't figure it out. Opinion runs the gamut. I'm quite
happy with how it works, although I can also see room for some
improvements.

It's not the same as my Mac OS X workflow, of course, but I don't
require that my iOS workflow be the same in all respects. Different
devices, different operating system models, for different purposes and
use paradigms. I adapt to what they do and bend it to my own uses.

> by that argument, i shouldn't consider moving from Aperture to Lightroom,
> which is exactly what is causing this restriction to be quite a pickle for
> me, as the transition will not be absolute nor immediate; what galls me is
> the restriction seems to have no logical basis; it seems designed to force
> me to use Aperture for everything (i may wind up with a Lightroom ->
> Aperture -> [iTunes] -> iDevice workflow)

Perhaps you shouldn't if you like these features in Aperture so much.
Why are you considering moving to Lightroom?

To me, it makes no difference which one you pick, as long as it does
what you like and you become skilled in using it.

> if you are saying Lightroom can automatically update exported folders on
> disk as smart set (or LR equivalent term) contents change, then that will
> help

Automatically is a judgement call, as you have to trigger when
Lightroom will publish a set. But, it's as automatic as I need. I'm
not all that sensitive to total automation solutions.

> in the part of my workflow from camera to iPad to computer, on the iPad i'll
> mainly want to tag, plus a little cropping and checking exposure potential;
> i'm not sure yet which apps, if any, can write EXIF or otherwise carry tags
> over to the computer (into Lightroom or Aperture); Photosmith and iPhoto
> maybe, but do you know of others?

Photosmith works with Lightroom (not iPhoto or Aperture):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosmith/id427757668?mt=8

I own a copy but I don't use it ... I find it easier to tag, sort and
grade in Lightroom. I do tag using Photogene when exporting direct to
flickr.com, however. Snapseed and Photogene both honor all the
metadata, Photogene's capabilities on metadata editing are more
complete.

Pixelsync works with Aperture and iPhoto for sort/grade/tagging operations:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelsync/id409409239?mt=8

The new iPhoto for iOS also supports sort/grade/tagging operations. As
well as grouping, albums, and photobooks. I've got a copy now and will
be giving it a try to see if it's useful for my mobile uses.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com