On 3/11/2012 12:19 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
We went for a waterfront walk today, and I took a picture that is
causing family grief. It was of the remains of a bird, slaughtered and
taken apart and almost entirely eaten by a raptor or (more likely) a
feline, left on a granite surface; the contrast between black feathers
and pink muscle tissue was shocking but I thought sort of beautiful
against the speckled stone. Fortunately I had the 50-135mm with me and
got what I think is a hell of a picture. Unfortunately my wife&  kids
think I’m a sicko pervert for taking it (a dozen or more shots at
varying exposures, just to be sure, while they averted their eyes) and
even sicker for liking it, and are threatening me with defenestration
or worse if I publish.

I’m not sure what to do.  -T

Tim,

This may come as a surprise to you, but you aren't the only sicko photographer on this list. Three and a half years ago, I was coming home from Seattle, stopped at a rest stop and saw some other people looking at a dead pigeon on the ground.

Not content with just getting pictures, I spent a fair amount of time trying to pose the dead bird with a rose, that someone had left in my van the previous morning:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157610185421629/

Unfortunately, the pictures didn't quite turn out for various technical reasons (read: stupid mistakes I made).

I run into a similar issue all of the time. I love to take photos of things that were once beautiful, but are now showing signs of decay, disrepair and death. Zab hates those shots.

So it comes down to, are you taking photos for your wife and kids, or for yourself?

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)