Ok, I did a little poking at it.

Basically, with Process 2012 selected, if you click the Auto button in
the Basic panel "Exposure" area on a photo which has more than 5-10%
of the image area at or beyond the white saturation point, Lr4 will do
its best to pull the exposure down so that the whites and highlights
are below the saturation threshold. On any more average scene, it will
render exposure that is quite close to on the mark.

Tapping the J key in the Develop module will turn on the white and
black saturation clipping indicators ... that will show you whether
Auto is useful for that scene.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com