I shot Dick Johnson, my boss and good friend, about a dozen years ago while he
was critiquing the television scripts that had been hung on the wall of BBDO's
war room.  Last night, he passed away after a long bout with cardiac
problems.He was a brilliant and witty man who served as creative director on
the Dodge national advertising account from the late eighties through about
2001, He took the brand from an also ran to a place o prominence in the U.S.
automobile market and was loved by both his staff and the clients. He had a
knack for managing the creative team, of which I was a member for most of those
years. He'd stay out of our way until he sensed it was time to get involved,
then he'd simply say "let's gather." He always professed that he had done okay
for a guy whose two names were both synonyms for the male sex organ. He was
well known in the industry for both the work that his teams turned out and the
parties he hosted: adult beverages, no spouses, cab rides home. We will honor
his passing at a service, but in keeping with his wishes, we will also bid him
adieu with a long night of heavy partying. Cabs will be provided.

Paul