Well gang...

I don't encourage trying this at home unless you're very mechanically
inclined but thanks (again!) to our mutual friend in sunny Brighton and my LX
now has an accessory that might make a few of you jealous (except
cotty...this is nothing compared to how you hotrod your equipment!):

http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/lx2.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/lx1.jpg

;-)

Peter was kind enough to point out that he sells the replacement lugs for the
LX and I so I picked one up from him on my last order. Well, I can tell you
that it's not an easy thing to do to retrofit the standard LX grip B, but I'm
pretty tenacious and I hate slinging my camera around in portrait
orientation.

First, one needs to realize that the grip is not hollow underneath the metal
plate on the back. This means you have to drill, scrape, and dig out the
plastic to make room for the nut to fasten to the lug. And let me say you
truly must put a nut on the lug as epoxy or some other way of fashioning it
to the grip wouldn't hold it securely enough. Well, at least not for my
camera...I really don't want to drop it. Thirdly, when removing the material
to fit the nut it's imperative not to destroy the upper right-hand hole for
the screw that holds the plate in this area...no walk in the park! However,
the biggest challenge I found to this operation was finding a nut to fit the
threaded lug itself! I just happened upon mine after searching around my
basement for three days (plus visiting three hardware stores, two hobby shops
and four hours of internet searching!). The lugs threads are very fine and
are metric threads (Japanese made). To be exact its an M4 size shank and the
threads are a .3 i think. Anyway, I found the perfect nut to fit the lug
from...get this...an old, halfway demolished Som Berthiot zoom lens
viewfinder!! What a thrill...it fit perfectly!!

Anyway...I also hope y'all notice the soft release which I also ordered from
CAMDIR.

Thanks again Peter. I've been waiting to try this bit of "Hotrodding" for
some time now!

Brendan MacRae