I have to say, that the hand-wringing over Pentax seems to ignore that
Ricoh only acquired Pentax in October of 2011. A certain amount of
time for reorganization, melding of talent, and reacquisition of goals
and decisions regarding business directions had to be made. I have the
feeling that the K-01 had to be a carry-over from development
decisions made at Hoya (not Ricoh). I truly believe that one must hold
one's breath and judge the potential success of Pentax Ricoh Imaging
by the cameras that will be introduced (and be shipping?) for the 2012
Holiday season. That means the replacements for the K-x, K-5, and ???.

I do think that the PR department has fallen down on the job in the
way the new lens price "policing" is going to be done. Particularly
bad timing after everyone got excited over the release of the recent
Lens Roadmap (something Hoya had discontinued). However, I also think
that the disappointment will blow over, similar to what we do with the
price of gas. We sigh and we pay it and have less for other things (or
we walk).

Keep in mind that the Nikon D3100 was competing with the Pentax K-x
not that long ago and both are supposed to have the same Sony Exmor
sensors. Therefore, I believe that if Nikon is using a 24MP sensor in
it's "entry class" D3200 then I think that it is quite likely that
Pentax is developing (and will be announcing) something with very
similar specs (and perhaps the identical sensor) for a similar price.
I believe that this camera will be a mid-range Pentax DSLR and that
there will still be a model closer to the $495 price point that is
truly "entry level". There should be a K-5 replacement above it. And I
in my dreams I see a FF model above it, perhaps competing in the D800
space.

As far as innovation goes, I think that the O-GPS1 shows that Pentax
can do things that no one else has even thought of. (Whether it is a
huge hit in the marketplace is a whole 'nuther matter). And I still
like the fact that Pentax uses shake reduction in the body, allowing
me to benefit from it even when slapping a 40 year old Takumar on my
K-x. I *hate* the idea of paying for image stabilization over and over
again in each lens.

I guess the thing that the Nikon D3200 announcement does is give me
pause on purchasing a K-5 (as we all know, so late in the life cycle).
I think it would probably be prudent to see what the reviews are for
the new Pentax bodies before deciding. I may still go back and buy a
low mileage used K-5 but I need to see how much of a jump in
technology and IQ this next round will bring. I'm sure that many will
be thinking the same thing and so Pentax will soon be delivering a
fresh round of rebates on the current models to clear out inventory in
advance of the new models. (The lens policing policy gives Pentax room
to make generous "rebates" available too.)

Those of you wishing to cash in your used Pentax lenses to change
manufacturers would do well to do it soon in this historic window when
the gap between used and new is suddenly (and perhaps temporarily)
higher.