On 4/22/2012 4:10 PM, Bob W wrote:
Not that I don't want higher resolution, but right now, my desktop
handles K20D sized files with aplomb.
Can I borrow it? I need to unblock the toilet.

Spell checkers suck.

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
P. J. Alling
Sent: 22 April 2012 21:03
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT - Nikon Announces 24MP APS-C DSLR - $699

Not that I don't want higher resolution, but right now, my desktop
handles K20D sized files with aplomb.  It (most), probably, won't have
problems with K-5 sized files, though you never know, they are at least
twice as large as K20D files.  My printer is capable of producing
13x19in output.  that means that I need better than 200 dpi for
acceptable results, (some might want 300dpi but I've noticed few images
really need that much resolution), which the K20D easily provides.,  If
fact the difference between maximum sized prints from a 14mp and 16mp
sensor is cool 13 dpi in linear resolution.  All that for a cost of
doubling the size of the raw file.  This resolution improvement is
imperceptible in a finished print.   I've had clients make billboard,
(ok small billboard, but still), sized prints from my K20D files and
from normal viewing distance they looked fine.

A 24mp sensor gives a liner dpi improvement in a 13x19in print of lets
see, (carry  the one divide by 19), 50 dpi.  For that I expect that a
raw file will be roughly four times the size of a K-5 file and 90% of
the time the improvement imperceptible at a normal viewing distance.
It's worse if you view your images on a computer screen.

I want better dynamic range and more accurate focusing, either manual
or auto, before I need more megapixels.